First Home Owners Grant – Our Top 7 Most FAQ

maximise your new home budget and spend it on the areas of your home that will bring you the most happiness

$20,000 Victorian First Home Owners’ Grant – Top 7 most FAQ   

Recently, the Government announced the exciting news that the Victorian First Home Owners’ Grant would be doubled to $20,000 for those choosing to build in regional Victoria.

Given that most of us who choose to build will enter into two separate contracts, one to purchase the land and another to build the house, it’s understandable that there is some confusion when it comes to the application process. But the process of applying for the First Home Owners’ Grant is simple, regardless of whether you are buying or building.

It’s helpful to clear up any confusion by answering the top 7 most FAQ’s that I’ve been asked since the news broke.


Does purchasing an existing home qualify me to get the full $20,000 First Home Owners’ Grant?


No, however eligible first-home buyers buying an existing home will continue to receive the $10,000 FHOG and other applicable assistance. 


Does building a new home qualify for me to get the full $20,000 First Home Owners’ Grant?


Yes, the First Home Owners’ Grant is available to eligible first home owners who are building a home in regional Victoria or who are buying a brand new, never been lived in before home.

According to the State Revenue Office of Victoria:

The new, increased FHOG payment of $20,000 is for first-home buyers who buy or build their new home, valued up to $750,000, in regional Victoria.

A new home includes:

  1. A newly built home,
  2. An existing property which is being sold for the first time as new residential premises,
  3. A land and building package, or
  4. Vacant land on which you will build a new home.

All first-home buyers in metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria must still meet the other First Home Owners’ Grant eligibility criteria.


Do I claim the First Home Owners’ Grant when purchasing a block of land?


No, the First Home Owners’ Grant is granted upon you having a contract to build a new home on your block of land.


What evidence will I need to provide as proof that I am building?


You’ll need to provide a copy of the contract to build, dated and signed by all parties.


When do I receive the $20,000 First Home Owners’ Grant?


If lodging your application via an approved agent (your lender), the grant will be paid to you at the date you first make a progressive payment to your builder, that is, at the time of your first instalment. 


I understand that I must live in the property for 12 months, but on what date does that 12 months commence?


The State Revenue Office website states that to receive the First Home Owners’ Grant, at least one applicant must:

Intend to live in the home as their principal place of residence (PPR) for at least 12 continuous months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction.

So, that means that you must move in within 12 months of receiving your certificate of occupancy, issued upon the completion of your home.


Where do I go to apply for the First Home Owner’s Grant?


Your lender can manage the First Home Owners’ Grant application process for you and step you through the process.

While you can apply yourself directly through the State Revenue Office, it is simple for you to make your application via your lender. You can find a list of State Revenue Approved agents online at

For further information on applying for the First Home Owners’ Grant, visit The Victorian State Revenue Office website at


The Ultimate Guide for planning to build your new home


You’re not building a home, you’re planning to build a home and it’s during the planning stages when all the big decisions are made.   But it’s also where the biggest mistakes are made.

Businesses will only tell you what they want you to know.  We’ll tell you what you need to know.  We’re dedicated to freely sharing the information that enables families to have a happy and successful home building experience where risk, time wasting and stress are minimized and value is maximized

How many times have you heard:

‘If we were doing it again’ or, ‘If only they’d told us’ or ‘If only we’d known’.

By casting your eyes over the guide you’ll be BEST positioned to avoid some of the biggest mistakes made.  Plus, it will save you loads of time, money and stress.  And as an added bonus it shares how to create instant equity by showing you how to unleash a mountain of value that most people don’t even know exists.

EVERYONE regardless of their budget deserves free access to the information that will help them build a home that will let their family live their best lifestyle.

Natalie Stevens is the founder of Build In Oz and author of Building Home – The 5 Step Journey to Building your Best Lifestyle.  After seeing families make the same mistakes time and time again Natalie harnessed the knowledge she’s gained from her lifetime of exposure to the construction industry to unpack the whole process of planning to build a home and put it all back together to give you a 5 step system that delivers a gift that money just can’t buy.  The gift of the knowledge you need to have to feel in control throughout the entire journey.

This gave me the confidence to know I’ll be able to build my dream home and be satisfied with every decision along the way – Narelle